Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I don't make New Year's resolutions but...

I have just never understood the hype about New Year's resolutions. I'm all for them since they are usually made because people become inspired to change their life for the better.
a fresh start.
okay, I get it, I do. BUT why limit one's self to January 1st each year?? if you wanna change, do it NOW; whenever that might be!
and this January 1st as I laid on my grandparent's orange and brown 70s couch I realized something. I don't understand why people are obsessed with the fresh start a New Year gives them when there's a better one out there. Jesus. Yes, I said it. So I sound like a crazy, judgemental-of-others, know-it-all Christian but I don't mean to be like that. Maybe I'll elaborate more on this idea of mine in a future bloggie...

All that being said I've done some reflecting, watched some movies, and read some books in the last month and so- for the first time in my life- I'm making some New Year resolutions. Hypocrite? perhaps, but at least I'll admit it, right?

~eat healthier, and eat much less meat: i don't think i can handle becoming a vegetarian, but after watching Food, Inc I just need to do something about my awful dietary habbits!

~be a better friend: there are people in my life I absolutely love but- for some reason or another, mostly pure laziness- either don't keep in contact with or don't make the effort to hang out with nearly enough. this is going to change; I already have a list of names of such peeps.

~be more involved in mentoring my Bible study girls& try to help them extract their missional side a bit more: I absolutely love the girls in my small group and need to work much harder at working out schedules to see them on a regular basis outsida the Bible study. Also, to encourage and work with them more to be more missional- like working to add new ppl to our small group's 'core group'.

~don't slack off in classes like I have for the last year and a half: freshman year I was on the dean's list, now I'm just scraping through. I need to remember going to college is an opportunity and gift. I want Colossians 3:23-24 ("Whatever you do, do with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men...It is the Lord Christ you are serving.") to inspire me with this task.

~update my bloggie more often: I love reading others blogs... I've had plenty of complaints from friends frustrated with my lack of blogging.

feel free to help keep me accountable : )

No comments:

Post a Comment